If there is one hair style I’m obsessed with for date night, it’s… Big. Beautiful. BARREL CURLS.
That’s right. Sexy, bouncy, playful hair that looks straight out of a Victoria’s Secret commercial. Yup, that’s the look I want for date night.
My $20 Dollar Date beauty goal is to find simple ways to style a look in twenty minutes or less for $20-something or less. Sounds about right, right?
Large barrel curls are a look that thankfully needs minimal product, tools and time to achieve (which is my kind of look!) This How-To is the quick and simple way to get the look. I have long, thick hair and it usually takes me only around 20 minutes to style like this.
Tools & Product for Barrel Curls:
1 in. Curling Iron
I use Hot Tools because they are so affordable and last forever. I’ve never had a Hot Tools iron poop out on me. (But as you can see from my video, I did have the handle tip pop off on me…) You can get the iron I use pretty cheap via this Amazon link HERE. It’s lasted me about 5 years now.
Fine Mist Hairspray
The finer the spray, the better. Aerosol spray cans tend to have finer mists than those squirt bottles. Using a finer spray helps the hair maintain it’s bounce and shape without weighing it down with sticky moisture.
My personal favorite go to hairspray is by Salon Grafix. It’s pretty expensive at your average pharmacy, but you can get it for super cheap at Wal-Mart or delivered to your door step from Amazon (Find it HERE). Believe me, it’s worth it.
How-To Style Barrel Curls
If you think achieving barrel curls look like a long and arduous process, you’re not alone. But for a look so lavish, it’s surprisingly simple to style!
Watch this quick video to see me style the look and get the step by step instructions below.
Step-by-Step Barrel Curl Style:
1. Start with brushed, dry hair. I like my hair to be a day or two dirty for this style because it holds the curl better. If your hair tends to get greasy, try adding some dry shampoo first. This helps give your hair texture.
2. Take one inch sections of hair and start your curl around 6in. down the strand (about mid way down your face). This allows for your roots to maintain volume. Starting the curl at the very top of the strand can weigh the look down. Curl the hair away from your face.
3. Clamp the strand and wrap hair around the barrel 1-2 times. You should have a straight strand poking out and only the middle of your hair wrapped in the curl.
4. Lightly flutter the clamp to help glide the barrel down your hair about 2in. Re-wrap around the barrel up to the mid point. Heat for 3-5 seconds max.
5. Unravel one wrap of hair and repeat Step 4.
6. Repeat Step 4 and 5 until you you get to the end of the strand, keeping only 1-2 wraps of hair around the barrel of the curling iron as you go. As you make your way down the strands, you should have cooling, curled hair higher up the strand that is not on the curling iron.
7. Lightly mist curls with hairspray and allow to cool completely.
8. Lightly finger comb the curls. This should loosen the curls so they don’t look like you’re going to prom, but still hold their shape.
9. Mist lightly with hairspray, tousle and work it like you’re on the runway!
See? That wasn’t as hard as it looks! (And it looks pretty amazing, if I do say so myself!)
I love this look for warm evenings at a wine bar or patio party paired with an adorable backless, bouncy dress or halter top. There is just something about bouncy hair on a bare back that gets me going… and I bet my boyfriend would say the same!
Do you love BIG CURLS, BIG TIME? Or does this bouncy look make you want to bounce? Share how you’d style it in the comments!