You know why this is better than your morning trip to to Starbucks? Because it’s booze. It’s bougie booze. It’s boozie.
We all have a basic bitch in our life we know and love. Whether it’s you, your date, or your BFF, they’re gonna have a new fall beverage of choice.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Liqueur.
A delicious blend of the most pumpkin-spiciest of spices ever to grace your lips. It wouldn’t dare replace your morning PSL, but that’s mostly because drinking in the AM is kinda frowned upon…
You don’t have to be a basic bitch to love this drink, but let’s be real here. There’s a reason why when you Google “basic pumpkin spice latte” THIS is the first entry.
To make the ultimate of basic adult beverages, I started with the most basic of boozes: Vodka. There’s no need to go fancy here. Vodka is an amazing go-to for infusions because it’s essentially flavorless, and thus all you taste are the delicious ingredients you’ve graced it with.
My vodka of choice to infuse is the one I have on hand (obvi. When the urge to infuse strikes, who has time to run to the market?) And that’s why I generally keep a handle on hand for such an occasion.
This handle? Seagram’s Vodka. It’s pure, it’s flavorless and it doesn’t burn a hole in your throat when you drink it. The best part? It only costs about $15 a handle!
To make this infusion you’re going to need about half an hour in the kitchen and 2 days of patience.
You’ll start by creating a Pumpkin Spice syrup. Then you’ll mix this with the vodka and let it sit for a couple days so the flavors can meld. Lastly (and optionally), you add the latte flavor.
The Pumpkin Spice infusion tastes just like your grandma’s pumpkin pie and your college dormmate’s Fireball had a sweet, tiny baby that you can’t wait to eat up. It’s perfect to mix with apple cider, coffee, or warm milk (if you’re into that sort of nightcap).
Me? I like my basic drinks BASIC. Chilled, straight up in a shot glass. Sip it, shoot it. Whatever floats your boat.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Liqueur Recipe
1 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
5 whole allspice, crushed (optional if you can’t find it, but double the cinnamon if you omit)
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 15oz can pumpkin
1 tsp sliced fresh ginger (optional)
2 1/2 cups Vodka
2 oz KAHLÚA or Coffee Liqueur (optional)
- Heat water and brown sugar on medium heat in a medium size pot, stirring occasionally until water is boiling and sugar has completely dissolved. Turn heat to low and bring to a simmer.
- Add all spices, vanilla extract and pumpkin to sugar mixture. Simmer for approximately 30 minutes, stirring occasionally (at least every 5 minutes).
- Remove mixture from heat and allow to cool.
- Strain mixture through a mesh sieve and into a bowl. Use a rubber spatula to press pumpkin and spices into the sieve to ensure you are able to reserve all of the syrup (liquid).
- You can throw away the residual pumpkin residue in the sieve.
- Funnel the syrup into your glass storage bottle of choice. I used an empty and rinsed tequila bottle, but mason jars, wine bottles, or anything glass with a sealable lid will do.
- Using a funnel, pour vodka into glass bottle. Seal and shake to mix with pumpkin syrup.
- Allow liqueur to sit in a dark, cool space for approximately 2 days, shaking about twice per day. This allows the flavors to really meld and infuse with the vodka, so you get more of a pumpkin taste than a vodka taste.
- After sitting, add coffee liqueur if you just. can’t .even. think of not doing it.
Chill and enjoy!
Remember, if a girl does something basic and doesn’t Instagram it… did it even happen tho?
Share your PSL Liqueur photos with #20dollardate.